Monday, November 8, 2010

I FOUND IT!

I finally found a squash recipe that I actually like. We've had squash almost literally coming out of our ears for the last couple of months due to our purchase of a CSA share this summer. Determined to find a use for the several spaghetti squash sitting on a shelf in my kitchen, I decided to try (even though it did NOT sound good) this recipe from the blog of The Pioneer Woman. In case you haven't deduced, I do not like squash-- especially spaghetti squash. I made a spaghetti squash recipe once many moons ago and hated it. So... even if you don't like squash, try this one. Squash is cheap, the ingredients are common and the recipe couldn't be easier.

Spaghetti Squash with Shallots and Maple Syrup
from http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/

2 whole medium spaghetti squash
3 Tablespoons butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup maple syrup
dash of salt
dash of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pierce squash several times with a sharp knife. Place squash on cookie sheet and bake for one hour.

Cut squash in half. Scoop out and discard slimy pulp and seeds. Scrape out the rest of the flesh with a fork. Place in a bowl and keep warm.

In a large skillet, melt butter. Cook shallots over medium heat until just brown (Pioneer Woman says cook them for two minutes until soft. I like them a little carmelized.) Reduce heat and add maple syrup. Cook briefly until warm. Remove from heat and add salt and nutmeg.

Pour over squash and mix gently. Serve warm.

No comments: